Wednesday, August 31, 2011

One-on-one time calls for a trip to visit some horses

Last week before preschool starts! I've really enjoyed this one-on-one time with my 4 year old, despite the challenges that come along with "that age".  I'm grateful he enjoys my love of photography and doesn't throw a fit as soon as he sees my lens aimed toward his way.  Wasn't so long ago, he was running the other direction.  Now he enjoys my sometimes irritating paparazzi(ish) tendencies.

Monday morning we went to the Houston Mounted Patrol Barn with some friends to hopefully capture some great memories.  So glad my little guy is fearless.  I can't imagine how much larger these animals look from his viewpoint.  He tends to treat these massive, 1000 lbs animals like dogs.  Innocence is bliss at that age, but not so blissful for Mommy.  I had to keep reminding him, that he couldn't just run up to them, poke, prod, hug and kiss their heads off.

Fortunately, these horses have been in more stressful situations than dealing with my 4 year old.

While we were photographing these beautiful animals, one actually got out of his stall and snuck up behind us.  Guess he thought he'd get preferential treatment and receive our bag of carrots and apples all to himself.

Here's that little sneaky horse!
I'm a city girl, born and raised in Southern California.  I don't know anything about how to get this animal back to where he belonged.  Ironically, when we needed someone to come assist, we couldn't find anyone.

Lucky for us, the horse decided it was much easier to get some feed in another stall, which gave me the perfect opportunity to shut the gate and then find someone to put him back where he belonged.


Our lives are full of surprises.  I enjoy them all!  Here are some of my favorites from our morning at the Houston Mounted Patrol Barn.



No comments:

Post a Comment